Sunday, May 25, 2008

Contrasting

Contrasting my Present Car with the Previous One

I have a red small car MatizII and I have ridden it since last year. Before I changed my car, I had a New Grandeur. On vacation from the arm, my brother-in-law borrowed my car for traveling, but unfortunately he caused a car accident and my car was crashed. In the end, I had to change the car. The new car was chosen just because it was cheap. My old car was much more expensive by more than 4 times than MatizII. In addition to the price, there are so many differences between the two car models

First, the size is very different. One is small and the other is big. MatizII is very small so we can drive it safely in the narrow alley and even in the road which so many cars are parked on either side of. So we don't have to worry about scratches both on my car and other's ones. It is also parked easily even by people who are not good at parking. On the contrary, New Grandeur is very big so we can move comfortably and children can sleep in the back seat stretching their legs. Also, a lot of luggage can be loaded and more people can get on it.

Second, the functions are different. MatizII has only basic functions: driving, air conditioning, warming, carrying baggage, etc. On the contrary, New Grandeur has a lot of additional functions; the seats can be warmed automatically, and a back of a front chair can be entirely pulled back so that we can lie down like a first class of an airplane.

Third, the maintenance costs are very different. In case of MatizII, it takes a little money. For example, we can go farther by driving MatizII than New Grandeur at the same fuel and repairing charge is much cheaper. A toll and the parking fee are relatively cheaper. Besides, fifty percent discount is also given because its capacity is less than 1,000cc. Actually an auto tax is so low that it can be ignored. But, we need more money in order to maintain New Grandeur. It takes a lot of oil so it is said that we need ₩1,000 to roll a tire just once. Usually we have to pay more money for a toll and the parking fee. We cannot expect any discount as for a big car.

The two cars have their own features and they make a lot of differences. MatizII has many weak points but it is enough for a family of five to get on. At that time, the fact that I spent money which I had not planned, made me angry but now I believe that MatizII was a good choice. When I see this cute car, I look forward to driving it by myself.

1 comment:

Ha-Jeon Lim said...

Your essay is very interesting and structured well not only the topic, the body, the conclusion but also proper contrast of sentence. If you append similarity of two cars, it may be better writing.

I will give you some my opinions about your essay.

In first paragraph and first sentence, I recommend you use the present perfect tense.
Do you want to emphasis about the new car in fifth sentence? I think it would rather active voice than passive voice.

In second paragraph 3 sentence, Why don't you replace "and" with "or"? It seems too long.

In third paragraph 4 sentence, " we can go farther by driving MatizII than New Grandeur at the same fuel and repairing charge is much cheaper", I can understand meaning of this sentence but I don't know well that "repairing charge~~" is right.

In last paragraph 3 sentence, the meaning of “At that time” is period that your car was New Grandeur.
How about do you modify some detail? And I wonder if past perfect tense is right – “which I had not planned”. How about “wouldn’t plan”?

You must improve English skill in near future. Good Luck.