1. writing by Bos
I want to tell about a person who has influenced my idea and my education. He is my supervising professor at the university in Korea.
He was born in 1960 as the youngest boy in his family. At that time his parents ①were old enough to raise him. When he talked about his parents it looked like he wanted to have ②youger parents. This is the only thing I've heard about ③his boy's life.
I met him when I was in Ph.D course at the graduate school in Seoul. At that time, he just came back to Korea from Canada where he got a doctor's degree. ④In those days first I met him, he was in post-doctorial course at the same university. But one year later, he became a professor and my supervising professor.
During my Ph.d years, he would give me a lots of ⑤courgement and advice for my future. Best ②encourgement giveny by him was as follows; "You are so smart that you can do whatever you want". By then, ⑦I was in hard time through my life I've ever had. Also ⑧he said if you meet three people who influenced your life, then you can make your life successful. Still now, whenever I have to make a decision I ask him to give his opinion.
In retrospect, I've already met one person who influenced my idea. Today, ⑨I will think about other people who influence my life. I am sure that I can have successful life as I want.
2. peer editing
The structure like introduction, conclusion and the sequence in your writing are good.
So I am pointing out only some mistakes in grammar, sexpressions and pellings. ①Were old enough to raise him means that they were old enough and they could raise him, so the phrase should be changed into "were too old to raise him" for negative meaning. The meaning of ③his boy's life looks like his son's life. In my opinion, his boyhood or his early days are more proper expressions. Also if you change '④In those days first I met him' into 'In those days when I met him first', it would be better. And normally, the superlative is put in front of the perfect tense, so the sentence of '⑦I was in hard time through my life I've ever had', is to be changed to 'I was in the hardest time(or one of the hardest times?) in my life I've ever had.
In ⑧if-clause, you mixed direct narration and indirect narration. So you should decide narration. "If you meet three people who influence your life, then you can make your life successful" or "if I met three people who influenced my life, then I could make my life successful" are more accrate.(but I'm not sure) Also, in '⑨I will think ~', it is more natural that will is deleted.
Here are the misspellings - younger for ②youger, encouragement given for ②encourgement giveny. And It is proper to use courage instead of ⑤courgement.
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
peer feedback for Bos re:A person who influenced my ideas and education
Labels:
Writing Class
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment